Follow us:
  • Prevention
  • Spas
  • Spas and health resorts
  • Clinics
    • On average, the human body consists of 67% water. It is therefore not surprising that water also plays a decisive role in terms of health.

      The beneficial warmth of moor, fango and mud was discovered early on. Mud baths were documented as a natural remedy as early as the 14th century.

      The climate has long had a major influence on well-being. Those seeking relaxation are most likely to find it in an environment with a balanced temperature and constant humidity.

      Kneipp cures are probably among the best-known water treatments. However, Kneipp therapy also includes nutrition, herbs, exercise and inner balance in addition to the water pillar.

  • Your way to a cure

MAN IS A WATER BEING

Drink before you get thirsty...

1. Water is the origin of life

Our body consists of about 45 to 70 percent water. The proportion depends on age, gender, body weight, fat and muscle mass.

2. Why does our body need water?

A lot of chemical reactions take place in our body, and our body needs water for them every time. Water is also essential for the transport of nutrients and heat regulation. Water is also important for the excretion of metabolic products via the kidneys and for digestion.

3. Water turnover and balance in the body

In an adult, around 6 percent of the total water content is used in the body every day. The guideline for the recommended water intake for adults is 1 milliliter per kilocalorie. A less sporty adult needs around 2.5 liters of water a day. Around 60 percent of this must be consumed through drinks, the other 40 percent is consumed with solid food or is produced during metabolism.

4. Consequences of water deficiency in the body

Water is vital for our body's survival. A lack of water impairs physical and mental performance and, in serious cases, can also have other health consequences. After just 2 to 4 days without water, the body can no longer excrete substances that need to be excreted in the urine.

5. Those who drink more often think better

It is becoming increasingly common these days to see many people who are mentally active not drinking enough fluids, for example by not eating breakfast and forgetting to drink or no longer noticing the feeling of thirst. Those affected have reduced attention span, slower thinking, are less flexible and their memory performance is greatly reduced.

6. Proper drinking at work is important

More and more people are not drinking enough at work. This results in a reduced ability to work, which is caused by a higher error rate and even an increased risk of accidents when not drinking enough fluids. One study found that simply installing a water dispenser in the workplace resulted in workers having a higher fluid intake and fatigue being slower.

7. Eating less means drinking more fluids

If a person consumes less energy through food and therefore possibly less than their actual needs, the body produces more substances that have to be excreted in the urine. The result is that the body needs more water to excrete these substances. This means that people who are on a diet in particular absolutely need to drink more.

8. Drink before you get thirsty

Thirst only occurs when there is a fluid deficit of about 0.5 percent of body weight. For this reason, the feeling of thirst should only occur in rare cases, because the sensation of thirst is less than the body's actual fluid requirement. Therefore, the rule is: drink before thirst even occurs.

Source: German Spa Association, Water is more, 2001: p. 21 ff.

ASSOCIATION

Spas and health resorts in Baden-Württemberg

en_USEN